Friday, November 30, 2012

7 Quick Takes Friday #1

Wow, long time no post. My intention was not to delay this blog, but with five kids my days are so full that I never can find time to blog. But honestly, I miss blogging. I know I only had six posts, but I enjoyed being creative and writing about my family. So i've decided that blogging is going to be my "me" time. A couple times a week i'm going to take some time, whether it be late at night, when my kids are napping, etc. to blog. Wish me luck!

Anyways...



1. Violet is now onto her third pair of eye glasses in the last six months. She's six and I can understand that glasses are a new concept and a new responsibility for her, but seriously, three pairs?? And glasses aren't cheap either! The first time she left them on the floor and Wren stepped on them and the second time she left them in a taxi cab. So when we got her new glasses, Wren and I sat her down and explained to her how important it is to be responsible and treat her glasses like a prized possession. We gave her a list of rules and decided to do daily checks to make sure her glasses are either on her head or on her nightstand and not on the floor or available to her younger siblings or the dog. Here's to hoping this new pair lasts!

2. I've been a reading fanatic lately. I've always loved reading but am finally getting to the point where I can find time to read each day... even if it may be at night before I go to bed. I love, love, love memoirs and biographies. Some of my favorites are Bloom, Heaven is Here, The Obamas, Tolstoy and the Purple Chair, and The Freedom Writers Diary, though I could go on and on about my favorite books! My love of reading has definitely rubbed off on my oldest two. Seeing Mommy read encourages them to read and they think its cool when they see me reading... I love that! We've gotten in the habit of having "Mommy/Daughter Reading Time" at night before bed. I sit with them and we read together.

3. I cannot believe tomorrow is December 1st. December 1st officially marks the time of year when we begin to celebrate the winter holidays. In October we're busy worrying about Halloween and November is all about Thanksgiving. Tomorrow we will decorate our house with Hanukkah decorations to prepare for the upcoming holiday. On Sunday we will be taking a family picture for our holiday card. I'm hoping and praying that all goes well, but with five little ones you can never be sure! We will also start to read Hanuka related books each night before bed and color Hanukkah themed pictures. This time of year is so great because it really gives my children an opportunity to learn about their religion and culture. Get ready for lots of hot cocoa, cookies, and warm fires, kiddos!

4. This week Violet and Mila both began piano lessons. Wren and I feel extra curriculars are an important part of our children's development. They're both in soccer (during the spring) and year-around ballet. The younger three will begging extra-curriculars when they are old enough, though that time is a bit far away. My husband and I both like the idea of them participating in one art, one sport, and one music... so long as it doesn't overwhelm them and they're enjoying them all. We let them pick what they want to do as long as we know it's something they're interested in and will stick to. So far the girls aren't overwhelmed and are enjoying all their extra-curriculars. Soccer isn't in session right now and both piano and ballet are only one day a week so they're not too busy and still  have time for their family, school, and free time.

5. Last week was Thanksgiving and we hosted over 50 (yes, f-i-f-t-y) people. There was so much food that we still have leftovers! And no, no one here is sick of Turkey Day food either. I think our family motto has turned from, "the joy of a family is life's greatest blessing" to "there's never enough Thanksgiving food!" Our fridge is still full of turkey, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, stuffing, cranberry, macaroni-and-cheese, and a lot more! I'm thinking about using the last of the turkey to make soup to ring in December 1st, the beginning of the winter season! What do you think?

6. On July 16th, Wren and I celebrated seven years of marriage. My wonderful in-laws took the kids for the weekend and Wren and I were able to get away for two days of relaxation and romance. I love my husband more than I can describe. He is my best friend and soul mate. When we met at 17-years-old who knew how much we would accomplish and create. We live the best, most incredible life together and I couldn't be more happy to call Wren my husband. He is an amazing father and caring husband. I am in awe that we have been married for seven years and can't wait to see what the next seven years (and seven years after that, and seven years after that, etc.) bring us. I love my Wren!

7. And lastly, its been more than four months since my last post and a lot has happened since then. Back HERE I wrote about having the baby talk with Wren and now i'm proud to announce we're expecting! I'm three months a long... yes, we conceived a month after the talk. Wren, the kids, and I couldn't be happier about our newest addition due in May 2013. I definitely want to find out the gender and am excited for whatever will be given to us- girl or boy. The older girls definitely want a little sister and the youngest two are so young they don't have a care in the world. Wren says he would love either but I know he secretly dreams of having another little boy. What man wouldn't? He and Connor are the only men in the household! Here's to baby!

No comments:

Post a Comment